Point in a Room
A room will feel much more inviting and offer a more comfortable place to rest if you arrange the furniture or accessories around a focal point. Sometimes a focal point is an architectural feature. At other times, a focal point can be a special picture, mirror, or dramatic piece of furniture. Learn how to find a focal point in your room and how to make the most of it.
- Look around your room to determine the ‘biggest’ feature. It may be a fireplace, a picture window, or a built-in bookcase. This will generally be your focal point.
- If your room has no distinguishing architectural features, identify the largest furniture pieces. These could become your focal point.
- A focal point should be something interesting to look at, something colorful or texturally and visually appealing.
- You can create a focal point for the room, by focusing on artwork, floral arrangements, paint color, or shelving.
- The focal point should be the ‘first thing’ you see when entering a room. If possible, build your furniture arrangement around the focal point.